Tuesday, May 15, 2012

It's OK To Say No Sometimes


The Peonies are Blooming!
The arrival of spring is also the beginning of busyness that doesn’t seem to relent until the dog days of summer in July.  There are more birthdays than I can keep track of in May alone, not to mention the garden needs to be planted, my son Jason has a birthday, schoolwork need to be finished up for the year, the list just keeps going…
I’ve done it a time or two, perhaps you have too…you say “yes” to everything when really for the sake of your sanity you should say “nosometimes.
Jesus, the Son of God was all knowing, all powerful and capable of being in two places at once.  What was his response to the many demands of His ministry?  
"But Jesus often withdrew to lonely places and prayed."  Luke 15:6
Jesus could have met the demands of others around the clock, but He didn't.  Yet, stuck in these human bodies we try to conquer the world with no downtime in the schedule.  This past month I've said "no" to some very good things in life, but I don't regret it. Sometimes rest is best. If I'm stressed - the whole family feels it. If my boys miss their nap - it can get ugly!    

Speaking of my boys...Jason turned 4 years old this past week.  In step with not saying yes to everything I kept his party small and simple.  I didn't feel overwhelmed with preparations and Jason had just as much fun.
We don't typically consume lots of sugar in our house, but when we do I go all out.  I found the most delicious recipe for Smores Cupcakes with Marshmallow Frosting that are just delectable!  
Here is the link to the recipe that I first found on Pinterest.  Cutting the frosting recipe in half was a very good suggestion that I followed and I still ended up with extra. 
Enjoy!    

2 comments:

  1. learn to say no. keep life simple. those are both good truths for living! glad you are discovering the freedom of it, although it isn't easy, is it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. No it isn't. One really risks appearing to be a snob by saying "no" sometimes. But like you said, there is freedom in it.

    ReplyDelete