Friday, June 29, 2012

Bottoms Up

There’s a lot of talk about health care these days…more like complaining and much of it is justified.  But I hear nothing about folks joining together to truly fight for their health.  I’m sure there are many who shake their fists at ObamaCare with a cigarette in hand as their packaged dinner cooks in the microwave.  How ironic. 

Our household does its best to avoid the need to ever step foot in the doctor’s office.  I recall about 8 years ago making an appointment because my toenail looked very strange.  It turned out to be toenail fungus (just so happened to be right after my first and LAST pedicure) and the Dr. wanted to prescribe something that might clear it up in six months or more.  But first I needed to have blood work done to check my liver since the medication could cause liver damage.  NO THANK YOU!  I went online, found a natural cure that worked much faster and have been fine since – liver and all. 
One way that we keep our family healthy is juicing.  With so much fresh and local produce in season right now we’ve been enjoying lots of healthy drinks.  And let me tell you it can really make a difference.  Almost two years ago I came down with a nasty cold the day before my husband was scheduled to leave for Air Force Basic Training.  I needed to accompany him to the base two hours away, then drive down to the airport to say goodbye.  I did not have time for a cold!  So I got out the juicer and for the first time added some garlic.  Well, I learned that day that one clove is more than enough – actually I put in five!  Oh wow, that was some strong stuff.  The whole family drank some, within hours I felt better, my husband never got sick during boot camp and the boys stayed healthy all winter.  However, our last night together was less than romantic – you could smell that garlic from across the room for the next few days. 



I know there are better juicers out there, but we’ve used the Bullet Express Trio for a few years without any problems.  Our most common concoction is Apples, Carrots & Kale, but the possibilities are endless.  A great book filled with recipes for both juices and smoothies is "The Big Book of Juices and Smoothies" by Natalie Savona.  Each blend is rated for Energy, Detox, Immunity, Digestion and Skin.  



There are few rules to juicing that are important:

*NEVER juice beets alone.  It can temporarily paralyze your vocal cords.  There are days that I've thought about juicing beets for my kids for some peace and quiet - but I've been nice :)          
*Drink Responsibly:  Juicing is concentrated nutrition.  You don't want to overload your body with ingredients that are diuretic, will stimulate your liver and the list goes on.  Do your homework first.  Enjoy!    



Pineapple, Kale, Carrots & Blackberries.


Pin It

1 comment:

  1. Good for you guys! We enjoy juicing too, sometimes really consistently until we get tired of the process {mostly cleaning the juicer}, and then we quit for a while. :) Right now I'm reading "The Juice Lady's Turbo Diet~Lose 10 lbs in 10 days." and juicing again, mostly for myself, but the others get some too. It's such a great way to get those servings of vegetables in and I am losing some lbs, so I'm happy about that!

    ReplyDelete