Tuesday, June 9, 2015

Strawberry Patch Granola


Strawberry season comes and goes so quickly, especially this year.  We had some great weather, but not enough rain, followed by extreme heat.  So the strawberry crop could have been better, but I'm still grateful for our little harvest.  I went overboard making jam last year during a nesting phase of pregnancy, so I tried something different with our strawberries this year- dehydrating. 

Dried strawberries are surprisingly delicious.  I wasn’t sure what to do with them besides add them to my salad; until it came to me that they would be a delicious addition to granola.  So here is my recipe.  I had a bag of Maca Powder in the kitchen that I hadn’t used in awhile so I threw that in.  While typing up the recipe I was going to link the Maca ingredient to where I purchased it online.  To my surprise the price more than tripled since the last time I purchased it.  It seems that the people of China have fallen in love with this super food too, driving up the price.  If you like chocolate, simply add cocoa or carob powder in place of the Maca.    

This recipe also uses Cinnamon Bark Essential Oil.  Cinnamon was more valuable than gold in the ancient world.  In the past it has been used not only to enhance the flavor of foods but to enhance well being.  The list of cinnamon's health benefits are long, including promoting healthy blood sugar to boosting the immune system.  Cinnamon Bark Essential Oil tastes fabulous in hot tea.  Be sure just to use one drop and stir well to disperse through out the entire cup of tea.   


Strawberry Patch Granola

6 cups rolled oats
2 cups whole spelt flour
1 cup chopped pecans
½ cup Maca Powder
½ cup shredded coconut
1 teaspoon salt

1 cup honey
1 cup safflower oil
½ cup warm water
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
4 drops Cinnamon Bark Essential Oil

½ cup white chocolate chips
1 handful dehydrated strawberries


Combine dry ingredients.  Combine wet ingredients.  Combine wet and dry ingredients together.  Bake at 250° for 60 minutes in a 13x9 or larger dish.  Stir every 15 minutes.  Add chips and strawberries when baking is complete.  Store in an airtight contain once cool.     
 



Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment