Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Love the One You're With

When you’re husband is in the Air Force, many holidays are spent apart.  That was the case last year while my favorite soldier was in Mississippi for training.  I missed him every day but was handling it fine, that is until February 14th came and everyone who is alone is reminded of it.  Friends would ask with excitement – “So, what are you doing for Valentine’s Day?”  Really?  Ugh!  Then I would have to state the obvious, that I’d be celebrating solo.

But a dear, caring friend came to my rescue.  I was humbled by her thoughtfulness one day as she stood at my door with Valentine’s Cookies for my children and a balloon for me.  She knew my day would be spent alone (yes it is very possible to feel alone with kids in the house) and decided to make it a little happier for me.  Her visit not only changed the mood of the day, it challenged me to reach out to others during lonely times instead of feeling sorry for myself.

I’m reminded of the song “Love the One You’re With”.  In my case that is often my kids and only my kids.  I can’t always be with my husband but I’ve got my boys who can never be showered with enough love. This Valentine’s Day will once again be spent without my sweetheart, but I choose to focus on the fact that he is alive and well and will soon return.  Who will you reach out to this Valentine's Day?  We hope to visit a widowed friend who lives in a nearby retirement community sometime this week. 
Happy Valentine’s Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment